Realizing that their best course for attracting permanent settlers to their new Etiwanda Colony would be to meet the educational needs of the settlers’ children, George and William Chaffey decided to set aside land for a school building. They did this and proceeded to build a one-room schoolhouse at the southwest intersection of what is now Baseline and East avenues. Their cost for the new building was reported to be $1,200. Until the time of the 15 Freeway, there were tall palm trees marking the site. Now, it would be approximately where the park and ride lot is situated. The schoolhouse became the location for community meetings and Sunday church services. This and succeeding school buildings all became rallying points for community functions and held this position for many years.
It was reported in the Riverside Press and Horticulturist newspaper on February 3, 1883, that the new Etiwanda schoolhouse was one of the neatest in Southern California. Building being almost completed it would soon be ready for occupancy. Now that the Etiwanda Colony had enough children living in the area, it was urged that they petition for a separate school district to be known as Etiwanda.